About Arts In Hand
Wisconsin’s Arts In Hand has been recognized for its advocacy, vision and support of the creative economy of northwest Wisconsin.
• August 1999 the initial meeting of people interested in art formed Wisconsin’s Northwest Heritage Passage. They were inspired by the tourism guidebook, “The Craft Heritage Trails of Western North Carolina” and had a vision to publish something similar. US Highway 63 with 13 counties became the focal area. “An Invitation to Journey from the Great River to the Great Lake” or from Pepin County on the Mississippi River to Ashland County on Lake Superior.
• Decision was made to publish a map first and a book at a later date. In 2001, the first map had beautiful photos of artwork and produce with listings of galleries, studios, farm tours and heritage sites. This map was updated and expanded with second and third editions following in 2004 and 2009. Each time, more than 10,000 maps were distributed to tourism offices throughout northwest Wisconsin.
• The board’s vision to publish a guidebook became a reality and was published in 2011, “The Wisconsin Passage: An Adventure in the Handmade, Homegrown and Historical offerings from the Mississippi River to Lake Superior.” For information about purchasing the book, contact Arts in Hand or visit Arts in Hand Gallery in Spooner WI.
• The Arts in Hand Gallery was opened in 2013.
• In 2015 the gallery moved to present location at 210 Walnut Street Spooner. The gallery has its own store front. Since that time, the number of artists has more than doubled and so have sales. The quality of art work has always been high and the customers appreciate the variety available. The gallery is staffed by volunteers. Classes are also available. Please check the Calendar of Events for class times and special events.
Below is the current Board of Directors. Board members are elected at the annual general membership meeting held each October. They are volunteers who help promote the organization, make financial decisions, maintain the website and social media, and publish a quarterly newsletter.
Board meetings are held monthly on the 2nd Wednesday at 10 a.m. Site of each meeting is listed on the Events page of this website. Current and new members are welcome to attend.
Earl Duckett President
Osceola WI 54020
Pat Ginther Secretary/Newsletter Editor
Minong WI 54859
Ruth Skeie Treasurer
Spooner WI 54801